the very best from independent music podcasting

3/02/2005

TSR #3 - Spiraling

Spiraling - Challenging Stage
These guys remind me of someone. Don’t they?

Squeeze is right below them in my iTunes artist list. Let me listen. Yeah, there are similarities. Kind of. Maybe not.

So who am I thinking of when I listen to them? Progresssive rock. Lots of energy. Loads of synthesizer. The Alan Parsons Project? Yes? ELO? Maybe all of those, a little. In fact, the influence of Yes is to be expected, considering that the band's keyboardist, Tom Brislin, toured with Yes in 2001. But still, there's another influence that I can't quite put my finger on. Could it be...

80’s arcade supergame Galaga?

THAT’S IT!!!

If you are a classic video game junkie like me, you'll recognize sounds from the game Galaga in "(I don't want to) Grow Up", from Spiraling's debut CD Transmitter. All of a sudden, the title of their EP, Challenging Stages, makes sense. There couldn't be a better parallel. For those of you who aren't Galaga-literate, the challenging stage is your chance to feel like top dog. It's all about you. Move around. Find the rhythm. Shoot everything in sight. Perfect score. You've never felt so good.

So that's it. Galaga and Spiraling tickle the same spot in my brain. No wonder I am hooked.

Much has already been written about this band, and most every article you happen across will draw parallels to other bands, including the ones I listed above. I have to say I prefer comparing Spiraling to Galaga, because none of the band comparisons really do these guys credit. Their sound is all their own, unique and fun, with great songwriting and very talented instrumental work. This is particularly true of drummer Paul Wells. I have seen at least two reviews likening him to Keith Moon of The Who. Frankly, I don't think it's a fair comparison. Wells is definitely the better of the two.

You can download some of Spiraling's tracks and purchase their CDs on the band's website. The Challenging Stage EP can also be obtained from the iTunes Music Store.

Spiraling can also be heard performing on Substitution Mass Confusion, a tribute to The Cars available on indie label Not Lame Records. Every day I hold my breath as the postman approaches, waiting for my copy to arrive. So far, no luck. Expect a review when this CD hits my stereo.

Afterword: Substitution Mass Confusion will be featured on Underground Radio this Saturday, March 5, at 10:06 pm. Central Floridians like me will be listening to UGR on Melbourne-based station AM 920 WMEL. Everyone else can catch their web simulcast. If you aren't already an Underground Radio listener, you will be after this show.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

Ah, Sam. Always surprising us with a strange twist that makes perfect sense. Everytime I read a new TSR article, I find myself saying aloud "Why the hell didn't I think of that analogy/comparison/reference/etc."

Superb as usual.

I need to go find an arcade.

3/04/2005 11:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home